Get your paddling pools at the ready… the heatwave is here & (apparently) set to stay! Last summer I was heavily pregnant & struggling to keep myself cool but this year is all about keeping Isla happy so here are the top ways to keep baby cool & happy in the heat…
- Keep baby out of direct sunlight as much as possible – find a shady spot to sit & make sure you get a sunshade or parasol for the pram while you’re out & about!
- Get your hands on the highest factor sunscreen that you can & COVER them in it! We have a sensitive skin Factor 50 for Isla & re-apply it regularly!
- Keep their fluid levels up – if they are over 6 months offering water regularly. You can make it fun by making your own fruity ice-lolly’s.
- Get the paddling pool out but make sure it’s in the shade! Set yourselves up for a day enjoying the garden & get out all the water toys to explore.
- Wide brim hats are a must – and if your little one is like Isla & keeps taking it off – try & get one with a fastening under the chin.
- At bed time try a cooler bath than usual but make it a quick one.
- Get a room thermometer and try to reduce the temperature well in advance of bed time.
- Remove any unnecessary bedding & keep clothes to a minimum. Check the thermometer to see what they should be in! I’ve included a helpful chart below…!
- Try to create a breeze in their room – we put a fan next to the window and put a bowl with ice packs in front of it which helped lower Isla’s room by 5 degrees!
- If they fall asleep in their pram keep it in the shade & make sure it is well ventilated – don’t cover it in a muslin or blanket as that can make the temperature soar dangerously high inside.
We’re off to get in the paddling pool now – Leave me a comment & let me know your best tricks to keep your little one cool & how you are enjoying the sun…